Two teenage boys aged 17 and 16 have been arrested and charged with sexual assault after a teenage girl was allegedly sexually assaulted on her way home from school after a group of boys surrounded her and stopped her from getting away, a court has heard.
The two culprit appeared at Dublin Children’s Court on Monday in regarding the alleged attack.
The older youth was charged with sexual assault and false imprisonment of the girl on a street in north Co Dublin on a date in 2016. The co-defendant was solely charged with false imprisonment of the girl, who was 16 at the time.
The boys were aged 15 and 14 when the offenses supposedly happened.
Garda John Delaney disclosed to Judge John O’Connor that the teens had been charged not long ago. They faced different hearings in which Garda Delaney said they had made no reply after they were charged.
He likewise told the court the Director of Public Prosecutions has suggested that the case should be handled in the juvenile court and not sent forward to the circuit court, which can impose lengthier sentences.
The names of the boys are withheld because they are minors.
In an outline of the allegations against the 17-year-old boy, Garda Delaney said it was the prosecution case that the girl, “was walking home from school at about 4 pm when she was stopped by a group of youths of which the accused is alleged to have been one”.
“She was not allowed to continue on her journey and it is alleged the accused grabbed the injured party’s breast before leaving the scene,” Garda Delaney said.
He claimed the co-accused had been in the group of youths that surrounded the girl and stopped her from leaving while she was assaulted, the court was told.
Each youth was escorted to the proceedings by their mothers and their lawyers.
Judge O’Connor made orders for disclosure of prosecution evidence to the defense.
He told them and their mothers that he was postponing the case until a date in June when the court will rule on the trial venue issue.